Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I like Christian rock. It's very positive.

Have you ever heard of Hillsong United? Even if you've not heard their name, you've definitely heard their music; they wrote "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" and "Shout to the Lord" among many, many other popular contemporary Christian songs.

They gave a free concert at Lakewood Church last Sunday night, and the four of us went with a couple of friends. Not knowing much about them, we assumed there would be plenty of seating--after all, Lakewood meets where the Rockets used to play, in a 16,000-seat arena. Ha! By the time we got there, even all the standing-room spots were taken and we had to sit in the overflow area and watch the whole thing on TV screens! It was still great, though, and I think it was about as close to heaven as we can get here on earth: thousands of people focused on praising God, not debating Bible versions or arguing about the appropriateness of praise teams, just lifting their voices and hands and hearts in pure worship. It was awesome, and awe-inspiring.

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, and hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."
--Psalm 40:1-3

If you know me in real life, you know how true this verse is in my life. God indeed has lifted us out of a very dark place and has given us a firm place to stand--right in the palm of his hand, where we always were and where we always will be. We have a new song of praise to him for the wonderful, amazing things he's done in our life over the past 21 months.


Jesus, Lover Of My Soul
by Hillsong United
album: Shout To The Lord (1998)

Jesus, Lover of my soul,
Jesus, I will never let you go
You’ve taken me from the miry clay
You've set my feet upon the Rock, and now i know
I love you, I need you,
Though my world may fall, I’ll never let you go
My Saviour, my closest friend,
I will worship you until the very end.

2 comments:

Kim said...

How amazing that singing must have been! That is so cool ya'll went down there. What an amazing God we have!

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this, Leigh! Thank you for sharing!